Taking Classes @ Palomar During High School

How do I sign up for a class at Palomar College?

1.Consult with your high school counselor first to discuss what classes you are interested in taking and why.

2.Palomar College Instructor’s signature required for students under 15 years of age.

Community college courses may be transferred to SMHS as follows:

2 – 3 unit college class=5 high school elective credits

4 – 5 unit college class=10 high school elective credits

Any class which is fewer than 2 units at a community college may not be transferred to SMHS for credit, except when combined with other related classes with the approval of a counselor and principal’s designee.

  • Complete the Approval For K-12 Student/Graduation Verification of Minor and Health Services Consent for Treatment of Minor Student Form (simply referred to as a “K-12” form). Form is available in the SMHS Counseling Office.

    Submit both the K-12 & the Health forms to the Palomar College Admissions Office, 760-744-1150, ext. 2164.

  • If you want to take a math or English class, you must take a placement test at the Palomar College Assessment Center. The placement test is self-paced and is not timed. However, the average time it takes to complete each test is one hour. The test is taken on the computer. The results are good for two years and you can retake the test after one year. Their hours are Mondays through Thursdays, 8:00AM – 5:00PM and Fridays, 8:00AM – 4:00PM. You can call them at 760-744-1150, ext. 2476 or ext. 2383 to schedule a testing time.
  • Review the schedule of classes to find out when and where the classes meet. You will also find important registration information, deadlines for adding and dropping classes, and other information necessary for your success. Schedules are available in the Palomar College Admissions Office, SMHS Counseling Office, SMHS Career Center, at most public libraries in North County, and online: www.palomar.edu.

  • You should only be charged for health fees and student center fees. You are expected to pay for your own books, materials fees and, if you will be parking on campus, a parking permit.
    • Semester fee: $19.00 and $1.00 per unit student center fees
    • In order to get your college classes posted on your high school transcript, you need to request an official copy of your Palomar College transcript to be sent directly to: San Marcos High School, 1615 San Marcos Blvd., San Marcos, CA, 92078, ATTN: Registrar (Request that the transcript be sent at the end of the semester, after the college instructor posts your grades.)
Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2021 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.